DA Logo

4th Judicial
District Attorney

Frequently Asked Questions

  • I believe I may be a victim of fraud. Can the DA’s Office help me?

    If you believe you may be a victim of fraud, please call your local law enforcement agency first. If you are within city limits call Colorado Springs Police Department at 719-444-7000. If you are outside of city limits call El Paso County Sheriff’s Office at 719-520-7111. For additional information reguarding this topic visit Economic Crime Division

  • What information do I need to have available when I call the DA’s Office?

    If you intend to call the DA’s Office regarding a case that has been filed please have the case number, defendant’s name and division available, if possible.

  • I have a question regarding that status of my case. How do I know if the DA’s Office is the correct agency to call?

    If you need to call regarding the status of a case, please see the outline below to determine which agency you will need to contact. The first two numbers of the case indicate the year the case was filed, the letter(s) following that number will determine which agency is responsible for handling your case.

    Cases handled by the District Attorney’s Office:
    20CR----, 20M----, 20T----, 20JD----, 20TM----

    Cases Handled by the Department of Human Services:

    Cases handled by the Courthouse:
    20R----, 20CV----, 20PR----, 20DR----

  • I need to speak with a Deputy District Attorney or Victim Advocate about my case. Can I meet with them in person?

    A Deputy District Attorney or Victim Advocate may be able to meet with you in person. However, attorney’s and advocates spend a good portion of their work day in court and meetings. In order to ensure that the correct person is available when you arrive please call and schedule an appointment.

  • I have questions about a small claims case. Who can help me?

    Please contact: Small Claims Court 719.329.7079.

  • I feel that a crime has been committed. How do I press charges?

    In most cases, crimes must be reported to the police department or other law enforcement agency which has jurisdiction over the city or county where the crime occurred. If the crime was committed in an unincorporated area of El Paso County, the crime should be reported to the Sheriff.

  • Can I report a crime directly to the District Attorney's Office?

    Complaints involving misconduct by public officials or election law violations may be reported in writing to the District Attorney's Investigations Division. Note, however, that reports of misconduct on the part of law enforcement officers should first be reported to the internal affairs section or professional standards section of the law enforcement agency with which the officer is employed.

  • I need child support. Can you help me?

    Child Support is no longer a part of the District Attorney's Office. To get information and help regarding Child Support matters, you can call 719.457.6331.

  • I am a victim in a criminal case and I want to drop the charges. Can I do that?

    The decision to drop charges in any criminal prosecution can only be made by a prosecutor with the approval of a judge. The victim's wishes alone will not dictate whether or not a case will be filed or dismissed. If you would like to discuss your case, you should speak with the prosecutor, in court, on the next scheduled court appearance date.

  • I think I have been cheated by a contractor, businessman, or other person who provides labor or services. Can the DA's Office help me?

    No. If you think you may be a victim of Contractor Fraud contact your local law enforcement agency to report the crime as soon as possible. Law enforcement will investigate the crime and the District Attorney’s Office will determine if charges should be filed and prosecute any crimes. Please follow this link to see a list of local law enforcement agencies: Economic Crime Division

  • I want a divorce or I want to sue someone or I want to adopt a child. Can the DA's Office help me?

    No. The District Attorney's Office cannot provide legal advice or take legal action in such matters. You should consult with your lawyer. If you do not have a lawyer, you can call the El Paso County Bar Association. The phone number is 719.473-9700.

  • Where should I go to get legal advice on personal matters?

    Call Lawyer Referral 719.636.1532 or the El Paso County Bar Association 719.473.9700 for help with selecting an attorney.

  • Who is assigned to my case?

    The person who is working on your case is most likely the person who signed the court document or correspondence. On subpoenas, the prosecutor's name is listed on the document itself. You can also ask to speak to the paralegal assigned to your case.

  • Why am I a witness? I didn't see the crime occur.

    Witnesses are not limited to “eye witnesses”. You may have seen the crime happen or may know something about it. You may also know something about a piece of evidence, or may know something that contradicts another witness' testimony. If you wonder “why” you are testifying in a particular case, talk with the prosecutor or paralegal assigned to the case.

  • As a witness do I have to talk in front of the defendant in court?

    The defendant must be present in court to hear what all the witnesses say about him. The lawyer for the defendant is called the defense attorney and will ask you questions after the prosecutor does.

  • How long will I be at court as a witness?

    Your court room time, while actually testifying, may not take long, but it depends upon many factors. Most of the time you will just be waiting for your turn to testify. You and your family and friends are encouraged to bring a book or magazine to read while you wait.

  • What if I can't attend court as a witness on the date stated in the subpoena?

    If you have a date conflict, you should contact the Deputy District Attorney immediately to discuss your conflict. In some cases, the prosecutor handling the case can put you “on call” (so that you can go to work or school on the day you are subpoenaed, and you will be called at a pre-arranged phone number an hour or so before you are needed in court).